You are in browse mode. You must login to use MEMORY

DISCUSSION FORUM

Forum: Suggestions / Ideas
Learning in Typing mode - suggest answer for New terms

Andreea Lazar
Andreea Lazar

Level: 38
Streak: 1
When learning new terms in Typing mode, the only way to have the answer displayed is to skip the term the first time when displayed. Would it be possible to implement a feature that allows for the answer to be displayed when a term is "New"? Something like "Type [answer]"? So far I've tried learning new terms using other methods, however, when doing this, the new terms will be due for practice at a later date so I will be practising typing for these only days after I've learned them. This is a bit frustrating when learning new words in a new language, for which typing is quite important (French or Hungarian for example).

3 comments

Memory Support
Memory Support
This is a shared account for Memory developers and support

Level: 8
Streak: 0
Administrator
This problem is bigger than I can decide. What I can tell you for now is: - The hint button was originally designed to help typing - it has 2 stages, 1) reveals a few characters, 2) reveals more. You are penalised for using the hint with the due count - We do have a system where you can hover over words to 'peek' the translation. But, we never put it live because it just felt like a duolingo copy and we wanted to do something different - There was an older system about a year ago where if you got it wrong in typing, it would make you retype it into a box - but it caused new user traffic to drop too much.... Trying to visualise your usage: do you mean. You choose typing mode (from the start) and are finding new terms, and then (obviously) finding them impossible? If that's what you mean, we could add a system where if 1) it's typing mode, 2) not seen question before -> then -> instead of asking question up front, say "type this [XXXX]" -> "Good work" -> shuffle card in the deck -> next time, ask normally We have talked about this many times but have not yet come up with a solution >70% of Memory users use Flashcards exclusively and the last few months has all been into that so I hope we can improve typing :S
Andreea Lazar
Andreea Lazar

Level: 38
Streak: 1
Yes, that is exactly what I mean and exactly the solution I was thinking about 😃 I do understand that most users use Flashcards or other learning methods, however, for me, Typing is the method that works best. I would totally understand if this cannot be implemented due to time/tech costs and also the reasons above, but thank you for looking into this and for taking the time to explain it.
Memory Support
Memory Support
This is a shared account for Memory developers and support

Level: 8
Streak: 0
Administrator
We're coming back to this soon. This is a big project - we need to get it right. Typing mode for questions where you don't know the answer is simply too hard, it results in guessing/hint button hits/ trial and error. We'll get it better over the coming weeks. Please keep this open.
You must be logged in to comment